This history was transcribed exactly as written from
"Young's History of Lafayette County, Missouri by Hon. Wm. Young, Illustrated,
Volume 1, Copyright, 1910, B.F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana." Pages 351 - 361

Transcription note: I have placed all names in a bold font for easier genealogical research.

{page 351}

CHAPTER XXI.

FREEDOM TOWNSHIP.

     Freedom township is in the southeast corner of Lafayette county, and is bounded on the north by Davis creek; on the east by the county line; on the south by the south line of the county and on the west by Washington township. It dates its organization from June 11, 1832. The county court, after defining its boundary and naming it, ordered an election at the house of James Wilkinson, but for some now unknown reason said election was never held. May 27, 1833, the court appointed Livingston Wilkinson as constable of Freedom township, until the next general election. In August, 1833, the court changed the township lines, the wording of the record being: "Beginning where Davis fork crosses the eastern county line, then up the same (stream) to the line between ranges 25 and 26; thence south to the middle of township 45; thence due east to the line between Saline and Lafayette counties; thence north with said line to place of beginning. Supposed to contain about thirty taxable inhabitants."

     In 1834 Johnson county was erected, thus fixing the south line of this county, and about the same date nine more sections were added to the west end, thus completing the township's area as it stands today.

EARLY SETTLEMENT.

     Eighty-five years ago the first white man invaded the territory embraced within Freedom township. His name was Patrick Henry, who effected a settlement in the eastern portion of the township. A little later, the western portion of the township was settled by Samuel and John Scott. James and Chris Mulkey located in what became known as Mulkey's Grove, about two and a half miles southeast of the present village of Aullville. Classed as early comers to the township may be named these: Doctor Davis, Nat. Davis, William Davis, David Mock, Jacob Phillip, George and David Welborn, Brooks Wellington, John Walker, James Atterberry and Daniel Greenwood. These nearly all located around the old town of Freedom.

     In an early account of the settlement of Freedom township from the pen of William Bright, the following has been extracted:

{page 352}

LAFAYETTE COUNTY, MISSOURI.

     "Joseph Johnson, of Indiana, but native to Kentucky, was among the original settlers in the township to which he came in 1829. Noah Rigg in the same year settled on section 13, township 48, range 24. Then William Bright bought Noah Rigg's farm, and entered the balance of the section.

     "The first marriage was that of Noah Rigg to Elizabeth Johnson. Joseph Rigg was the first male child born in the township. The first female child born was Ellen Bright, daughter of William and Artimesia Bright. She was also the first to die in this township, and was buried at the old Johnson graveyard. The first regular physician was Doctor Thornton, a Kentuckian. The pioneer school was in a building on the farm of William Bright and there James Campbell taught the first term of school. This school house was made of logs and was 'raised' by the neighbors."

     The present population of Freedom township is about three thousand eight hundred. For an account of its schools and churches see respective headings in the general chapters of this volume.

     The township is traversed, through its northeastern portion, by the Lexington and Sedalia branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad, with station points at Aullville and Concordia.

TOWNS AND VILLAGES.

     Freedom (now a defunct village of this township) was laid out in 1860, by Franklin Mock, on section 9, township 48, range 25, and made a matter of public record. William Kane erected a store building, two stories high, forty by twenty-four feet, in which he carried on a general merchandise business. The house in which Doctor Belt later resided was the first residence of the village. Davis, Livingwood & Son put in operation an ox-tread gristmill, which later was removed to Aullville. The second store in the place was build by Wesley Cox, and there he carried a small stock of dry goods and groceries. Three years before the village was platted, the Christian denomination erected a church building, at a cost of seven hundred dollars. The Methodists also held an interest in it and worshiped therein. It was finally removed to Aullville. There were several business houses erected at Freedom, but with the building of the railroad through the township, the good start towards a lively town was thwarted and finally all became dilapidated and many of the buildings were removed to the nearby railroad station, Aullville. Doctor Wilborn was postmaster at one time, and later it was moved to the store of Mr. Kane. It is now numbered among the defunct villages of Lafayette county.

{353}

LAFAYETTE COUNTY, MISSOURI.

CONCORDIA.

     The second attempt at town-building in Freedom township was when, in 1868, the town of Concordia was platted, by a joint stock company, consisting of Major G. P. Gordon, Henry Detert, Col. George S. Rathburn, Peter and Harmon Uphouse and Henry Westerhouse. It is situated twenty-five miles to the southeast of Lexington, on the Lexington and Sedalia branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad, and on section 4, township 48, range 24.

     Among the early settlers whose names should not be forgotten are these: Mordecai Cook, two miles to the west of the present town; William Cain, sometime prior to the Civil war; Jackson Patrick came very early and had many slaves and bloodhounds; Preston Patrick, southeast of town, as early as 1845; Fletcher Patrick and Miles Patrick, all brothers, who came in from Kentucky. Miles Patrick sold a slave woman to pioneer Francis H. Walkenhorst for the sum of ten dollars.

     William Mock started the first nursery in this section of the state more than fifty years ago and there are now hundreds of farmers who have trees springing from that original stock, among which are many fine varieties of apples, including the famous "Huntsman's Favorite," so well known in Missouri.

     A stage line, with its four-horse stage coaches, ran between Sedalia and Lexington, making its trips alternate days. There were relays about every dozen or so miles. Mordecai Cook's place, a few miles to the south of present Concordia, being a station for one of the relays. Men still living here relate that the signal of the approaching mail coach was the long, loud blowing of an immense tin horn, when all would gather at the station to watch the lusty driver change horses, mount his high seat and ply the long whip to the fresh horses.

     Marked, indeed, has been the change of the appearance of things in and about Concordia, with the passing of more than forty-two years, since the first townsite stakes were driven.

     Before the platting of the place, in 1856, it was that a good grist-mill was put in operation at this point by Henry Flandermeyer and Lewis Bergmann, the same costing about three thousand dollars. This property was burned in 1859. Then followed a blacksmith shop by Frederick Henricks, in 1858. A year later a store was started by Henry and August Brockhoff. It was a story and a half building, twenty-five by forty feet.

     The second store in the place was that of Hackman & Detert. The first

Pages 354 - 356


Townships        Contact Me        Links

The data here may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These pages may not be reproduced in any format or presentation by other organizations or persons. Any person or organization desiring to use this material for profit or any form of presentation, must obtain the written consent of the owner or her legal representative.

This page revised January 19, 2004.

Made with 1st Page 2000 - Professional tools for real minds.

Copyright 2001 - 2004, Carmen F. Bein, All Rights Reserved